When you get involved in a car accident and you suffer from injury, the need for an attorney is important. You want to be able to use the expertise of a legal professional as you handle the legal aspects of the car accident or injury claim. But what if you are on the other end of the spectrum? How do you handle the situation when it is you who caused the damage or injury? You need the help of a skilled attorney like Brian Cummings Nashville has to offer. Cummings and his law firm is known for handling car accident cases and can therefore help you navigate the situation with minimal damage and cost.
But to give you an idea on how to best handle the situation, you need to know a few things first. Here’s what you should do:
• Check if you are part of the no-fault state. If you are from one of the 12 no-fault states in the US, you cannot be sued even when your car accidentally crashes on another vehicle. These no-fault states are Florida, Hawaii, Michigan, Minnesota, Kentucky, Kansas, Pennsylvania, Utah, New York, New Jersey, North Dakota and DC. If you’re from Tennessee, then it obviously means that you are not protected by the no-fault policy imposed by some insurance policies. You need to talk to skilled Nashville motorcycle accident lawyers about the issue.
• It will be determined who is at fault for the accident. Once you have spoken to Brian Cummings Nashville attorneys or any representative from the firm, they will help analyze the details of the car accident. The police will conduct their own investigation and the Nashville plaintiff attorneys who will represent you will also be doing their own information-gathering procedure. They will analyze based on the evidence if any traffic laws were broken, position of the vehicle, speed, and other factors that could have affected the crash and the ongoing investigation.
• Contact your insurance company. Aside from speaking to Brian Cummings Nashville firm representatives, you must also contact your insurance company about the car accident. Most insurance companies can cover the legal cost of a lawsuit that might be filed against you relating to the car accident. But the insurance company will cover the legal costs based on your policy limits.
• The insurance company is not on your side. Hiring the best Nashville trial attorneys should be your main priority when you get into a car accident. Even though your insurance company could shoulder a part of your legal cost, they will not be actively seeking to clear your name. Their goal is to provide the financial support you deserve based on your policy but their responsibility towards you ends there.
• You can try to settle. Depending on the extent of the damage, some plaintiffs might agree to a settlement. After all, your civil damage to them is only monetary in value; this means you cannot be sent to jail. This, however, is exempted in the case of breaking the law such as drunk driving.
With the right attorney representing you in this case, you should be able to overcome this case smoothly.